Review date: October 2017
Next review date: October 2018
HEALTH AND SAFETY POLICY
- Provide an environment in which staff, customers and visitors can function without risk to their health or safety.
- Ensure that Free2Learn is a safe place, and that the environment, facilities, equipment and substances are subject to safe systems of work to prevent risks to health or safety.
- Provide and maintain an environment that is suitable with regard to facilities and arrangements to safeguard the occupational health requirements and welfare of employees and students.
- Provide an environment in which everyone can carry out their tasks without fear of intimidation, harassment, violence, or undue stress.
- To identify the need for, and to provide, training, instruction, information and supervision to all staff and customers.
- Provide a means of consultation on health and safety matters for all employees, their representatives.
- Promote personal responsibility and effort on the part of everyone to avoid and prevent health hazards and injuries to themselves and to others who may be affected by their acts or omissions, and to co-operate with Free2Learn to comply with its duties, requirements and statutory obligations.
- Ensure that all those with responsibilities for managing equipment or premises, or supervising others, are aware that these responsibilities include health and safety requirements and the need to carry out risk assessments for all potentially hazardous activities.
- Ensure that the principles of good health and safety management are applied to all activities undertaken by Free2Learn, including activities such as events, travel, and field trips.
- Provide support on matters of occupational safety through Free2Learn Safety Officer who will be responsible for advice to the organisation, for regular auditing, and who has the responsibility and authority for enforcement.
- Monitor the health and safety performance of Free2Learn through regular reports to Management.
- Appoint specialist officers to provide advice to Free2Learn within the realms of their expertise.
- Make arrangements to act upon health and safety matters at all levels through Departmental meetings.
Free2Learn Safety Officers: Amir Shaikh and Laura Watkin
- It is the policy of Free2Learn to make provisions for First Aid and the training of ‘First Aiders’ in accordance with the First Aid Regulations (1982). The Safety Officers are responsible for ensuring the Regulations are implemented and for identifying training needs.
- The responsibility for meeting the requirements of the Reporting of Injuries, Diseases and Dangerous Occurrences Regulations (1985) shall rest with the Safety Officers.
- All new computer installations adhere to the British Standard Specifications and comply with the Health and Safety Display Screen Equipment Regulations (1992). The employee’s line manager is held accountable to review with employee and if necessary, converse with the Safety Officers to ensure that Free2Learn is compliant with the Health and Safety at Work Act (1974) and the Management of Health and Safety at Work Regulations (1999).
- The Company is committed to the principles of the Working Time Regulations. No member of staff is expected to work more than 48 hours per week (including overtime) unless there are exceptional circumstances. Similarly all other requirements of the regulations e.g. in relation to breaks will be complied with.
- The Health and Safety at Work Act requires each employee ‘to take reasonable care for the Health and Safety of themself and of other persons who may be affected by their acts and omissions’ and co-operate with management to enable management to carry out their responsibilities under the Act. Employees have equal responsibility with the Company for Health and Safety at Work.
Signed: Gabriella Gherscovic
Free to Learn Tel: 0208 525 9430 – Extension: 1014